Member Project: Colin Whitehead

Colin Whitehead, has submitted a short write-up and photos of some canoe-related projects he's been working on during this winter's Covid lockdown. Below is his message to the group:


This winter is turning out to be so much colder than last year, so work in the unheated garage has to be delayed. One project this winter has been to lose some Covid weight and get stronger for portages.

I’m lucky to have a hilly, wooded trail at the end of my road where I can get in a 5 Km route. I started with a 25 lbs load in my rucksack and have slowly add weight to it very slowly. I’m now within 15% of my target load to be achieved in 2 or 3 months.

The trail has been icy but now that the temperature has dropped, packed snow has covered the ice. With the use of Yaktrac ice grippers on my hiking boots and one pole, I can manage the sleeper slopes.



A second project is to add another level to my canoe trailer so I can carry 2 more canoes to the Assembly at Paul Smith's or somewhere in Canada. I’m making this up as a kit, so come spring I will be able to fit it onto the trailer within a few hours.

Most of this work is being constructed in my small basement workshop due to the low temperatures in the garage. However, a few tasks did take place in sub-Arctic temps.

The front tee piece has been made along with the forward load brace. I'm just waiting for another vertical support to turn up from a friend's over-stocked garage. Basically the vertical supports are of Unistrut channel and the horizontal tee pieces are 1-1/2” aluminum square tubing with rounded edges. 


Quite a bit of thought has gone into the stresses that this extra weight will cause but also need the keep the package with total load specs of the basic trailer.

Looking forward to seeing you all!!!! Well, when we can.

Colin



If you'd like to be featured in our next Member Profile post, wish to share favourite paddling spots or have other information to contribute, feel free to get in touch with the site administrator by clicking HERE.

Comments